Brief history of the District
This district of Bokaro was created on 1st April, 1991 by taking out Chas and Chandankiyari C.D.Blocks of Dhanbad district and the entire Bermo Subdivision of Giridih district and then merging them to form a new district. Bokaro district is bounded on the east by Dhanbad district and some portion of West Bengal State, on the west by Ramgarh district, on the south by Purulia district of West Bengal and on the north by parts of Giridih, Hazaribag and Dhanbad districts. The district extends between 23o26” to 23o57” North Latitude and 85o34” to 86o26” East Latitude. The district is located at an elevation of 200-546 m. from mean sea level.
The Settlement Report for Manbhum, 1928 and the District Gazetteer for Dhanbad, 1964 are the sources available to trace some historical background of newly created district of Bokaro. As a matter of fact, not much information is available for Bokaro district exclusively.
The District of Dhanbad was created on 24.10.1956 on the recommendation of the State Reconstitution Commission. The then district of Dhanbad consisted of two subdivisions, viz., Dhanbad Sadar & Baghmara.
On 01.04.1991 the Baghmara Subdivision, known as Chas Subdivision, became part and parcel of Bokaro district.